Dear Legacy Academy Parents,
We are all getting settled in! What a great start to a new school year. Thank you for entrusting your children to us. Please review the calendar carefully, there are several very important meetings coming up. Please remember, parents are welcome to call our office at (303) 646-2636 with any questions or concerns. If your student will be late or absent, please call the office or use the Absence form on our website by 8:30 am. We would love to help!
No School: This month there is No School on Friday, August 30, 2019, and Monday, September 02, 2019.
Some residents of Wild Pointe Ranch, the neighborhood behind Legacy Academy are asking if we can assist our neighbors with traffic that the school creates at the entrance to their neighborhood. Please remember:
- Do not drive onto Legacy Trail and park on either side of the street while waiting to pick up your child(ren).
When there are cars on both sides of the street it inhibits the traffic flow in and out of the neighborhood as only a single lane is usable. While you are waiting for Legacy’s carpool, please pull off onto the shoulder to provide space for traffic to move past the carpool line. Parents are also parking in the mailbox spots that residents of the neighborhood need to park to collect their mail. Can we be considerate of our neighbors and use our carpool system to avoid frustrating them? Thank you for your cooperation!
Carpool and Permission to Walk:
Everyone must use their official carpool number/sign, (this means made in our office with the official Legacy Academy logo). We can no longer allow you to give your name or handwritten carpool numbers. As of Friday, August 30, 2019, if you do not have the official carpool sign, we will require you to come into the office with your driver’s license to retrieve your child(ren). This is for the safety of all children at Legacy Academy. Please call the office if you need a carpool number made up, give your number and the color you will need (green for front door pickup and red for backdoor pickup). Students must have an official “permission for walking home” form on file in the office to do so. You can find the form to download on our Getting Started page. Please fill out and have your student/yourself return to the office.
Before and After Care:
Did you know that we have a Before and Aftercare program? Children can be dropped off at 6:30 am and can stay until 6:00 pm. Children must be pre-registered. This is a fee-based program. Please contact Ms. Mollie at email@example.com or call (303) 912-5335.
Patriot Day Observance:
Please mark your calendar for Wednesday, September 11, 2019, is Patriot Day Observance at 8:00 am in the gymnasium. Please invite all your friends and family who serve or have served our country in the armed services, firemen, and women, nurses, doctors, police officers, teachers, etc. to our celebration! All children involved in a community service-oriented club may wear their uniforms including Girl and Boy Scouts, AWANA, ROTC, etc. on this day. We are still looking for donations of brunch items for our celebration. All donation costs and time count towards volunteer hours. Please bring in disposable containers, or label your containers with the first and last name.
Please remember, students desiring a hot lunch must place an order by 8:30 am each day. Keep this in mind if your student is coming late. You may report a late student and order lunch by calling the school or accessing the Absence report on https://www.legacyk8.org/. Make checks payable to the “Elizabeth Lunch Program” for lunch accounts, and add the name(s) of your student in the memo along with their grade. If students are bringing in cash they need to have their money in an envelope with their name grade and teacher on the outside. Student meals cost $3.50, students who want seconds on their entree are charged an additional $2.00 per meal. Adult meals are $4.00 and milk is .50. The cafeteria will start selling ice cream on (Fridays Only) beginning September 13, 2019. Students are not able to charge this purchase to their lunch account. They must have one dollar cash or change.
Free and reduced lunch applications can be filled out at the following link https://www.elizabethschooldistrict.org/. Once you have arrived at the site, click on departments and then food services. It will take you to the free and reduced section where you will have to register if you have not done so. You will need your student I.D. to register so, if you do not already have it you will need to call the office on weekdays between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm to request it. If you qualified for free & reduced lunch in the 2018-2019 school year you have thirty days from the start of school to re-apply so there is not a break in services. If you would like to use the online service to put money in your child(rens) account the link is www.payforit.net. For questions about your student’s lunch account please call Cathy Breaux 303-646-2636 ext. 1035
Upcoming Winter Spelling Bee for grades 4th through 8th:
We would love to have a large group of students participate. Get started practicing your words now. If you have a student who is a great speller or interested in becoming one, please email our spelling Bee coordinator Mrs. Kristen Crookshanks at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Service Dogs Only:
Please be advised that Legacy Academy does not allow dogs in the building unless they are certified service dogs or therapy dogs that have been approved by the school. Thank you for your consideration.
Patriot Day Observance – We are still looking for donations of brunch items to feed all of our community service workers for our Patriot Day Observance on Wednesday, September 11, 2019. We could really use completely cooked/still warm egg and meat dishes, fruit platters, bacon in a crockpot (fully) cooked. All donation costs and time count towards volunteer hours. We will pick up items during the carpool on Wednesday, September 11, 2019, so you or your student do not have to worry about getting the items into the school. Please bring in disposable containers, or label your containers with the first and last name. Please e-mail Ms. Anne if you can help at email@example.com.
We also need about 5 people to arrive at 7:30 am to help with set-up, and two more people to help with clean-up, at about 9:00 am. Please e-mail Ms. Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with this special event.
Homecoming – We need a truck and flatbed trailer for the homecoming parade on Friday, September 27, 2019, please email email@example.com.
Landscaping Needs– If you are a working family who has difficulty getting your volunteer hours taken care of during the school year, we are looking for a team of people who would be responsible for keeping our property mowed and trimmed throughout the fall. We could really use some people with a tractor and brush hog (field mower). Please e-mail Ms. Anne if you would like to be a part of the team firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yard Signs Available to Post– Do you have a corner lot or a highly visible location where you would be willing to advertise our school with a yard sign? We are looking for people who will place a sign in their yard for a three month period, you will receive three hours of volunteer time. Please e-mail email@example.com or call the office if you can help! Thank you.
Vision and Hearing Screening is scheduled for Wednesday, October 30, 2019, from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm. We can use up to ten volunteers a day. We will train you if necessary! If you are interested in volunteering, please email Catie.Hayes@legacyk8.org.
Cash Donations Needed- Having trouble getting opportunities to volunteer at school? Make a cash donation towards purchasing a couple of AED machines or an automated external defibrillator, which is used to help those experiencing sudden cardiac arrest. One is needed for taking down to the fields during physical education class and one is needed for the new building we are adding to the school. Just send a check to the office and mark AED in the memo. Every ten dollars counts as one hour and goes to an excellent cause and can help save lives.
- When you volunteer at Legacy, volunteer time is logged using HelpCounter which can be accessed through our website. Please use the following link to fill out a background check, a confidentiality form and log your volunteer time. https://www.legacyk8.org/volunteer-info
This school year Legacy Academy is focusing on building character. School-wide the students are asked to R.O.A.R. This means students are asked to be Respectful, On Task, Appropriate and Responsible. Students who show R.O.A.R behaviors are awarded a R.O.A.R Award. Then 12 R.O.A.R awards are drawn every month and those students will have ice cream with the Administration team.
In addition to R.O.A.R. awards, we are teaching our students about Character Traits. There is a monthly ROAR assembly for grades kindergarten through fifth grade. It is usually the first Monday of every month at 8:15 am in the cafeteria. Parents can attend but it is usually standing room only. The first one is an introduction and is scheduled for Monday, August 26, 2019, at 8:15 am. The September ROAR assembly will be September 9, 2019, because we are not in school the first Monday.
- Respect – September
- Responsibility – October
- Compassion – November
- Empathy – December
- Integrity- January
- Honesty- February
- Cooperation- March
- Courtesy – May
Dress of Choice/Uniform Information:
Middle School and fifth-grade students are able to wear jeans every Friday as long as they wear any Legacy Apparel top purchased through our website. Purchases can be made here: Legacy Apparel Store. Zip-up/Hoodies alone are not acceptable.
Monday, August 26th
- Elementary ROAR Assembly at 8:15 am in the cafeteria.
- Girls Volleyball Parent Information Meeting 5:30 in the computer lab
Tuesday, August 27th
- Boys Soccer Parent Information Meeting 5:30 in the computer lab
Thursday, August 29th
- Fifth Grade Community Challenge Field Trip. 5th-grade students will travel by bus to Casey Jones Park in Elizabeth, CO to join other fifth graders in the district.
- 8th Grade Field Trip to Castlewood Canyon
Friday, August 30th
- No School/Teacher Inservice
Monday, September 2nd
Wednesday, September 4th
- Mandatory 8th-grade parent meeting for DC/New York/Phi at 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm in Mr. Bruner’s Room, room 107 (third classroom on the left down the middle school hall).
Thursday, September 5th
- (Rain Date) Fifth Grade Community Challenge Field Trip. 5th-grade students will travel by bus to Casey Jones Park in Elizabeth, CO to join other fifth graders in the district.
Monday, September 9th
- Elementary ROAR Assembly at 8:15 am in the cafeteria
- Silver-Spoon Award 2:30 pm in the cafeteria
Tuesday, September 10th
- LA Governing Board Meeting at 6:30 pm in the computer lab.
Wednesday, September 11th
- Patriot Day Observance is at 8:00 am in the gymnasium. Please invite all your friends and family who serve or have served our country in the armed services, firemen, and women, nurses, doctors, police officers, teachers, etc. to our celebration! All children involved in a community service-oriented club may wear their uniforms including Girl and Boy Scouts, AWANA, ROTC, etc. on this day. We are still looking for donations of brunch items for our celebration. All donation costs and time count towards volunteer hours. Please bring in disposable containers, or label your containers with the first and last name.
Friday, September 13
- Middle School Dress of Choice Only. Middle School students are allowed to wear their own clothing as long as it meets the dress code guidelines.
- Ice cream can be purchased for $1.00 cash or change at lunchtime.
Friday, September 20
- “Sports Team Day” for $2.00. Students can pay two dollars and dress in their favorite sports team. Students can wear jeans, no uniform item is required if students participate.
Wednesday, September 25
- See You at The Pole, 7:00 am. This is a student-led prayer time around the flagpole that is a global activity. Students and parents, please bring a breakfast item to share and come to the cafeteria for a quick breakfast at 7:00 am. We will then gather around the flagpole at 7:15 am to pray for the school, friends, churches, and community.
Friday, September 27
- All school “Dress of Choice”. Students are allowed to wear their own clothing as long as it meets the dress code guidelines.
- All Middle School Field Trip to Elizabeth Homecoming Parade 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm.