Dear Legacy Academy Parents,
We are all settled in! We are having such a great start to a new school year. Thank You for entrusting your children to us. Please remember, parents are welcome to call our office with any questions or concerns. We are happy to help!
This month there is No School on Friday, September 02, 2016, Monday, September 05, 2016, Friday, September 23, 2016, and Monday, September 26, 2016.
Monday, September 12, 2016, is Patriot Day Observation 8:00am in the gymnasium. Please invite all your friends and family who serve or have served our country in the armed services, firemen, and women, nurses, doctors, police officers, teachers etc. to our celebration! All children involved in a community service oriented club may wear their uniforms including Girl and Boy Scouts, AWANA, ROTC, etc. on this day. We are still looking for donations of brunch items for our celebration. All donation costs and time count towards volunteer hours. Please bring in disposable containers, or label your containers with a first and last name.
Please remember, students needing a hot lunch must place an order by 8:30am each day. Keep this in mind if your student is coming late. Make checks payable to “Elizabeth Lunch Program” for lunch accounts, and add the name(s) of your student in the memo along with their grade. If students are bringing in cash they need to have their money in an envelope with their name grade and teacher on the outside. Student meals cost $3.25, students who want seconds on their entree are charged an additional $2.00 per meal. More information about our lunch program and free and reduce lunch applications can be filled out at http://www.elizabeth.k12.co.us/FoodServices.aspx Parents who qualified for the program have only thirty days to reapply without losing benefits.
Ice cream Friday’s will begin mid-September in the cafeteria. Students who have $1.00 cash can purchase ice cream on Fridays in the cafeteria at lunchtime. They cannot use their lunch account for this purchase. We will announce on the Monday before the Friday that ice cream will be served.
Sign up on our website for Help Counter to register your volunteer hours at HelpCounter.net. Look for volunteer information under the school resources tab. Log volunteer time through the PTCO page (look in “about Legacy”).
- We are still looking for donations of brunch items to feed all of our community service workers for our Patriot Day Observation on Monday, September 12, 2016. We could really use completely cooked/still warm egg and meat dishes, fruit platters, bacon in a crock pot (fully) cooked. All donation costs and time count towards volunteer hours. We will pick up items during carpool on Monday, September 12, 2016, so you or your student does not have to worry about getting the items into the school. Please bring in disposable containers, or label your containers with a first and last name. Please e-mail Ms. Anne if you can help at email@example.com.
- We also need about 5 people to arrive at 7:30 am to help with set-up, and two more people to help with clean-up, at about 9:00am. Please e-mail Ms. Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with this special event.
- If you are a working family who has difficulty getting your volunteers taken care of during the school year, we are looking for a team of people who would be responsible for keeping our property mowed and trimmed throughout the summer. We could really use some people with a tractor and brush hog (field mower). Please e-mail Ms. Anne if you would like to be a part of the team email@example.com.
- Do you have a corner lot or a highly visible location where you would be willing to advertise our school with a yard sign? We are looking for people who will place a sign in their yard for a three-month period, you will receive three hours of volunteer time. Please e-mail information at legacyk8.org or call the office if you can help! Thank you.
- Mrs. Joann McQuigg (Librarian) is in need of several people to help set-up, run, and breakdown our Scholastic Book Fair. The dates are Monday, September 19, 2016, through Friday, September 23, 2016. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with any of these dates.
- Vision and Hearing screening is usually scheduled for sometime in October and will last a couple of days. We can use up to ten volunteers a day. We will train you if necessary! If you are interested in volunteering please email email@example.com
- Are you having trouble getting opportunities to volunteer at school? Make a cash donation to our ROAR awards program. Just send a check to the office and mark ROAR in the memo.
- Every ten dollars counts as one hour and goes to an excellent cause. See below.
This school year Legacy Academy is focusing on building character. School-wide the students are asked to R.O.A.R. This means students are asked to be Respectful, On Task, Appropriate, and Responsible. Students who show R.O.A.R behaviors are awarded a R.O.A.R Award. Then 12 R.O.A.R awards are drawn every month and those students will have ice cream with Mr. Naber.
In addition to R.O.A.R. awards, we are teaching our students about Character Traits. The Character Trait schedule is as follows:
- Respect/Responsibility- August/September
- Honesty- October
- Compassion- November
- Cooperation- December
- Integrity- January
- Courage- February
- Perseverance- March
- Courtesy – April
Scholastic Book Fair
We would like to invite all parents and students to our scholastic book fair starting on:
- September 21st from 3pm to 4pm
- September 22nd from 3pm to 8pm
- September 23rd from 8am to 12pm
This event is a great opportunity for you to find the perfect gift for your child for any occasion. We encourage your children to read and this is where they can find a book they will love. This is the best way to get them excited about reading. There will be a classroom wish list tree for teachers. This is where you can donate a book to help build classroom libraries. Your donations can be credited towards your volunteer hours, one hour for every ten dollars spent. We hope to see you all there. We have books for all ages!
Technology Training Nights
Mr. Entner and Mr. Teudean will be hosting two parent and student technology training nights. This is an opportunity for both parents and students to get some one-on-one assistance and learn how the iPads are utilized in the middle school classrooms. 6th-grade families, as well as new families to Legacy Academy, are highly encouraged to attend. We will be explaining what parents can do to hold their students accountable, where work is posted/returned, and an overview of widely used apps. The goal is to empower parents to engage in our digital classrooms. We will also be answering any and all questions you have about our technology. We want to be able to gain a better understanding of the technology we use and answer your questions about it. Feel free to bring your own personal iPads, tablets, phones, your student’s iPad – any device can interact with the apps and tech we use.
- Training Session Option 1: Thursday, 9/1 from 3:30 – 4:30 (Computer lab)
- Training Session Option 2: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. TBA later in September
Students who have $1.00 cash can purchase ice cream on Fridays in the cafeteria at lunchtime. They cannot use their lunch account for this purchase.
Thursday, September 1st
- Training Session Option 1: Thursday, 9/1 from 3:30 – 4:30 (Computer lab)(See last paragraph above).
- Mandatory 8th-grade parent meeting for DC/New York/Phi at 4:00pm in Mr. Bruner’s Room, room 107 (third door on the left down Middle School hallway.
Friday, September 2nd ~ No School/Teacher In-Service
Monday, September 5th ~ No School/Labor Day
Thursday, September 8th
- Band Meeting! All students (5th through 8th grade)/parents interested in learning more about band need to meet in the Legacy Academy Band room from 4-5p.m. Students who are continuing this year in band from a previous year at Legacy should arrive at 3:30p.m. with their instrument so that they can learn how Mr. Wiens would like to use them to assist others in trying out an instrument.
Friday, September 9th ~ Middle School Dress of Choice
Monday, September 12th
- Patriot Day Observation 8:00am in the gymnasium. Please invite all your friends and family who serve or have served our country in the armed services, firemen, and women, nurses, doctors, police officers, teachers, etc. to our observation! All children involved in a community service oriented club may wear their uniforms including Girl and Boy Scouts, AWANA, ROTC etc.
Tuesday, September 13th
- PTCO General Meeting at 5:30pm (Free Childcare Provided).
- LA Governing Board Meeting at 6:30pm.
Friday, September 16th
- Nerf Night 6:00pm – 8:00pm in Legacy Academy gymnasium! This is an excellent time for families to play together. Parents are encouraged to play! Ages 7 and up (6yr olds may play if a parent is in the gym with them at all times, but all parents should stay for the event). The cost is $10.00 per person. Students may not bring their blasters to school during school hours. Bring your own blaster to the event. Do not bring darts or discs. Protective eyewear is provided. Parents will be required to sign a waiver prior to this event, no exceptions will be made. The waiver will be available at the office during school hours or at the event. If any questions, please e-mail LABOD@legacyk8.org.
Monday, September 19th
- Scholastic Book Fair available for children to walk through with their teacher.
Tuesday, September 20th
- Fun Run Assembly in the gymnasium from 2:00pm – 3:00pm.
- Scholastic Book Fair available for children to walk through with their teacher.
Wednesday, September 21st
- Book Fair Open 3:00pm to 4:00pm
Thursday, September 22nd
- Dress like a Pirate Day in honor of our book fair! No Fee.
- Parent Teacher Conferences from 4:00pm to 8:00pm by appointment only. Elementary teachers will be in their classroom. Middle school and Specials teachers will be in the gymnasium.
- Scholastic Book Fair will be open to students/parents during conferences 3:00pm – 8:00pm
Friday, September 23rd ~ No School!
- Parent Teacher Conferences from 8:00am to 12:00pm by appointment only.
- Scholastic Book Fair will be open during conferences 8:00am -12:00pm
- Elementary teachers will be in their classroom. Middle school and Special teachers will be in the gymnasium.
Monday, September 26th ~ No School/Fall Break.
Wednesday, September 28th
- See you at the Pole, 7:00am This is a student lead prayer time around the flag pole that is a global activity. Students and parents bring a breakfast item to share and come to the cafeteria for a quick breakfast at 7:00am and then gather around the flag pole at 7:15am to pray for their school, friends, churches, and community.
Thursday, September 29th
- Elementary ROAR Assembly 8:00am in the gymnasium.
Friday, September 30th
- Fun Run Fundraiser for all students.
- All School Dress of Choice, all students wear their fun run shirt and comfortable running clothing.